The National Assembly of Tanzania (Parliament of Tanzania) was established before independence in 1926 as Legislative Council of Tanzania Mainland, then known as Tanganyika. The Legislative Council was established under Tanganyika Legislative Council Order and Council, a law enacted by the British Parliament. The law was gazetted in Tanganyika on 18th June 1926 and the council was launched in Dar es Salaam on 7th December 1926 under the chairmanship of the Governor of Tanganyika, Sir. Donald Cameron. The council had 20 members all appointed by the Governor. Find out more on the assembly website.